Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies That Are A-Peel-Ing
Who can’t resist banana and chocolate together, and these banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are sure to please every family member in the household.
The potassium in this sweet fruit is at a very healthy level with anywhere from 450 to 550 mgs of potassium per banana, and that’s a whole lot of health benefits.
Many folk with high blood pressure have eaten bananas for years as a sweet way to restore potassium levels in their bodies and lower their blood levels.
Others have used them as natural cures for depression, nerves, stress, and anemia, and the fiber and natural probiotics in them are great for digestion too. That’s not even mentioning that these healthy little fruits help build healthy bones, kidneys, and eyes!
The bananas in these chocolate chip cookies along with heart healthy old fashioned oatmeal and the health benefits of cinnamon make these healthy cookies for kids as well as healthy cookies for everyone in the family!
If you like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies but like the addition of bananas for chewy oatmeal cookies that will quickly become the top banana in your home, this recipe is for you!
Let’s just call this oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe the “top banana” of all cookie recipes!
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup sugar (an equal amount of coconut palm sugar is even better, low GI)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Gluten Free or regular All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten Free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Mix the white sugar and butter, and beat until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat a little more.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cloves, and cinnamon, and mix well.
- Then stir in the mashed bananas, rolled oats, and semisweet chocolate chips.
- When mixed, drop by teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
Note: These cookies are the most moist when you take them out of the oven when they are still slightly moist on the top, so you probably won’t want to leave them in past that 10 to 12 minute time frame.
They’ll look just right if you just let them set on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving them.
For Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Banana: Add about 1/2 cup coconut to the mix at the same time you’re adding the semisweet chips.
For Cranberry Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Banana: Substitute the 1 cup white sugar for 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar, and substitute the 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips for 3/4 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 cup dried cranberries.
For Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Banana: Reduce the mashed bananas to 4 and mix in 1/2 cup peanut butter at the same time you add the eggs.
As if these aren’t already healthy enough….
For an even healthier version of these banana cookies, try one of these options.
Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Banana
To the above Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, add any of the folowing:
- Reduce chocolate chips to 1 cup and add 1/2 cup raisins
- You could also substitute dark chocolate chips for the semi sweet ones. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and is thought to lower blood pressure as well as increase brain power. The only problem with this is that, when taken together, milk can hinder the absorption of the dark chocolate. Thus, you may need to forgo the cookies and milk and drink something else if you want the full benefits of the dark sweets!
- Another option is to reduce bananas to 4, and replace the 1 cup sugar with 2/3 cup agave nectar. A very nice fruit and honey flavored recipe for chocolate chip cookies!
While these banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies will be waiting for your family’s fingers to come pick them up, they’ll soon be peeling off the serving plate when your kids see them there!