Chocolate Cake Recipe – A Honey Chocolate Cake for Dad
Whether it’s Fathers Day, Dad’s birthday, or any other day you want to make the dad in your family feel a little more special, you’ll love making this chocolate cake recipe for him.
You’ll have the benefits of honey in this sweet little chocolate honey cake, and with the addition of cinnamon chocolate frosting (recipe below), this cake recipe provides a combination of cinnamon and honey health benefits as well.
While he’s joyfully eating his delicious and moist chocolate cake, you’ll enjoy his day even more knowing you found a healthy chocolate cake recipe for him to enjoy.
Honey Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate cacao powder or regular cocoa if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sift the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and honey; then add the eggs. Beat well.
- Add the buttermilk to the honey butter egg batter, and stir.
- Stir liquids into dry ingredients until combined.
- With an electric mixer, beat the mix for 2 minutes on high; then pour into a 9 x 13 cake pan sprayed with cooking spray (or greased and floured).
- Bake at 350 for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool before frosting.
Honey and cinnamon go well together, and when you’ve got both of those ingredients together in a delicious chocolate cake recipe, you’ve definitely got a winning recipe!
The bittersweet chocolate in this icing recipe below adds a deep rich taste plus some additional antioxidants and makes for a very interesting dark chocolate cake recipe with honey.
What a great way to take care of him as well as treat his sweet tooth!
Cinnamon Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup (2-8 Tbsp. sticks) butter, room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup milk
- 6 to 8 cups powdered sugar
- Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler or on a saucepan on the stove, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla to the creamed butter, and beat a little more.
- Add melted chocolate. (Make sure it is cooled.)
- Slowly add powdered sugar by hand until the icing is the right consistency for you to ice the cake.
With the addition of some honey, cinnamon, and dark chocolate in this chocolate cake recipe, your “honey” will be one happy little bee!
If you don’t have dark chocolate cacao powder at your house yet, here is a great raw organic cacao powder you can use in your chocolate cake recipes and other desserts: Premium Organic Raw Cacao/Cocoa Powder, Rich Dark Chocolate Taste – 1lb/16oz bag (Amazon Link)