Cowboy Pie Dessert Recipe
A beautiful site to behold, the cowboy pie is a mixture of a good old fashioned pie recipe with chocolate chunks, candy, apples and peanuts. In Britain, a cowboy pie may have beef. Even in the history of cowboy cooking in Texas, a recipe for cowboy pie might have baked beans and sausage.
THIS is a cowboy pie DESSERT recipe though, and make no mistake, THIS pie is like no other.
A pie recipe with chocolate chips, chunks or pieces, butterscotch, peanuts, sweetened condensed milk, and other sweets all wrapped in your favorite type of pie crust is not only a keeper, it’s a dreamer!
Here’s the recipe.
- 1 9-inch prepared and prebaked pie crust
- 1 20 to 21-ounce can apple pie filling
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup granola
- 1 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups shelled peanuts
- 1 can sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the apple pie filling, lemon juice, and cinnamon together.
- Spread the apple mixture across the bottom of the prebaked pie crust, and set aside.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Spoon the sweet mixture evenly over the apple pie mixture already in the pie crust.
- Place pie pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
- You can use chocolate chips instead of the chocolate chunks..
- You can also substitute the peanuts with pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, or other nut meats of your choice.
I told you! Like I said above, this pie is like none other!
Of note too, there is another recipe for Cowboy Pie which is just as rich (if not more) than this one but slightly different.
Elizabeth Karmel of Hill Country Chicken in New York City has created a make-your-own Cowboy Pie dessert recipe where you can add just about any sweet ingredient you might like to add. From white chocolate chips to Rice Krispies, toffee, carmels, cherries, raisins, hazelnuts, or just about anything else sweet you might be “hankering”, (I vote for candy corn on Thanksgiving)…. inside an Oreo Cookie pie crust, graham cracker pie crust, or something else expected or extraordinary, this is one unique pie that may or may not be for everyone but will certainly appeal to the biggest sweet ‘tooths’ in your life.
You can watch Elizabeth’s Cowboy Pie recipe premier on Good Morning America here:
Get The Pioneer Woman 9 Inch Stoneware Pie Dish and make your pie special in every way!
(Amazon Affiliate link above)
If the pie in the video above interests you, here is Elizabeth Karmel’s Cowboy Pie recipe which she introduced (above) on Good Morning America’s Thanksgiving Pie-Palooza in 2012.
It’s like a candy pie recipe with candy…. more candy….. and stuff…..
And you thought chocolate chip pie was out of this world.
Your friends and family will never know what hit them.