A Family Taco Salad Recipe for Healthy Weight Loss Together
Even when you’re watching your caloric intake to lose weight or you prefer a low fat or low carb diet, you want to make sure what you serve on your dining room table is family friendly and kid approved. The good news is that foods that help you lose weight can be the same foods you put on your family’s table and of which you receive raving reviews!
Even though taco salads are generally a healthy food for dieters and their families, and the calories in taco salad are usually moderate, these taco salad recipes are healthy diet recipes specifically geared for whichever diet for weight loss you prefer.
These healthy salad recipes are just fine without taco salad shells too which is a factor that lowers your calories and carbs even more.
Find the taco salad recipe here that is just right for your family’s taste buds AND your dieting preference and needs!
Low Carb Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 – 2 tsp. taco sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 head iceberg leettuce, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup guacamole (basically 2 Tbsp. per serving)
- 6 Tbsp. salsa (about 1 Tbsp. per serving)
- 6 Tbsp. sour cream (about 1 Tbsp. per serving)
- Brown hamburger, and drain off fat.
- Add seasoning mix, taco sauce, and 1/4 cup water. Mix until warm.
- Divide lettuce and tomatoes onto 6 large plates.
- Ladle hamburger-taco sauce onto the top of lettuce-tomato plates with cheese, dividing sauce equally.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over sauce.
- Arrange a scoop of guacamole in the middle top of each plate, leaving some shredded cheese in view.
- Top with pretty dollops of salsa and then sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
Turn this recipe for taco salad into a low carb meal by serving it with low carb protein shakes with strawberries added and this low carb cookies recipe.
Low Carb Low Fat Taco Salad Recipe
This healthy taco salad recipe watches both carbs and fat for you, and it tastes great! It’s a low fat taco salad recipe that even your husband won’t think about as a lower calorie low fat food!
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped red tomatoes
- 8 Tbsp. Fat Free Sour Cream
- 1 cup shredded fat free (or at least reduced fat) Cheddar cheese
- Chop lettuce and set aside.
- Brown the beef with olive oil in a large skillet.
- When beef is brown, add the taco seasoning with water, and add to skillet, stirring to mix.
- Simmer beef and seasoning mix for a few minutes to blend flavors. Remove from heat when done.
- Divide lettuce into four bowls or plates.
- Top with chopped tomatoes.
- Pour beef-taco sauce equally over lettuce and tomatoes plates.
- Then top with 1/4 cup cheese each plate and two Tbsp. each sour cream.
This low fat, low carb, and easy beef taco salad recipe is nice with fat free sugar free frozen yogurt or fat free sugar free whipped topping sprinkled with blueberries for a low fat dessert!
You’ll usually see a vegetarian taco salad recipe without meat.. (well, duh…. it’s MEATLESS which goes to say… LOL), but how about vegetarian taco salad recipes that use vegetarian, meat-like products like Morning Star? With products like that at your fingertips, you can turn many of your favorite recipes into lower fat, lower calorie meatless wonders without even a thought!
Low Calorie Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 head shredded lettuce
- 3 cups meatless crumbles from Morning Star
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1 can whole corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 Tbsp. shredded fat free cheese (or try shredded soy cheese if you like instead for even lower calories)
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 4 low carb or homemade low calorie taco shells, optional
- Cook meatless crumbles.
- Add taco sauce, and stir until well combined, then set aside.
- Divide lettuce into four low carb or low calorie shells, or place on individual salad plates.
- Top each plate with equal amounts of meatless taco sauce, corn, sand salsa.
- Sprinkle each plate with 1 Tbsp. shredded fat free or soy cheese, and top each with 1/8 cup non-fat yogurt.
To add a special sophistication to this low cal taco salad recipe, place a slice of avocado in your scoop of non-fat yogurt! Make sure a part of it sticks out for that special visual effect!
Wouldn’t your Taco Salad look great in this ceramic salad bowl?
Get it here: Boston International Ceramic Salad Bowl
Offer some watermelon for dessert or make some of these sugar free low carb cookies that everyone in the family will love, and you’ve got yourself a winner there!
When the cook of the house is on a diet, or even one child in the family needs a little extra help and support in the weight loss area, the rest of the family doesn’t always work so well around some of those diet foods an individual might need. However, taco salads are a great food for kids, and these taco salad recipes can be more than just a part of a healthy weight loss diet for one individual, they can be a satisfying, healthy meal for an entire family.
PS, If you want more recipes for healthy weight loss, you’ll find more taco salad recipes and other healthy summer salads in the related posts area and throughout our website!