Apple Pancake Recipe That’s Good to the Core
When the morning air is chilly, but you still have to pull that blanket off and get out of those warm, cozy sheets, this easy pancake recipe should lift your spirits and help you find your go-for-it spirit in the morning.
You can cook this pancake recipe in any pan or griddle, but there is nothing finer in the morning than a good old fashioned recipes for hot pancakes cooked on a cast iron grill or skillet.
Old Fashioned Pancake Recipe with Apples
Apple Pancake Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup applesauce
- 1 -1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 -1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk (whole, 2%, or skim, as per your preference)
- 1 cup shredded apple, include the peel for more nutrition
- Melt butter in medium saucepan on low heat. Remove from stove, and add applesauce. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking power, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Cut apple in quarters, remove seeds, and shred apple in a food processor or by hand.
- Drop shredded apple in butter and applesauce mixture. Stir.
- Add the milk and egg to the butter, applesauce, and apple mixture. Stir.
- Mix applesauce and apple mixture into flour mixture, and stir just until combined. Set aside in the refrigerator for a few minutes. (This allows time for the baking power to react with the applesauce so that your pancakes will be fluffy, moist, and sweet.)
- Preheat a cast iron pan or griddle to medium high heat. (A lower setting will make these pancakes too heavy.)
- When pan is heated, spray with cooking spray or melt a little butter in the pan, and scoop approximately 1/4 cup pancake mixture onto pan or griddle. Cook until bubbly, then turn over to brown the other side as well.
Want to add some zing to your pancake recipes?
Try the homemade strawberry pancake syrup here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-strawberry-syrup/
Or compliment your apple pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup. Here’s a good recipe for that: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cinnamon-syrup/