A Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe for a Lip Smackin’ Old Fashioned Outdoor Delight
When you have a BBQ chicken recipe that makes you feel like you’re living in a less hectic world and that life is a little more simple, at least for a little while, you’ve got to share it with your family.
It’s even better when you have a grilled BBQ chicken recipe you can use for a family picnic at an old fashioned city park, when you’re camping with the kids, or which you can even grill in your very own backyard at your very own home.
BBQ chicken recipes go well with all sorts of sides, depending on how light or full you want your picnic meal to be, and they are budget friendly for families wanting a nice meal at a lower cost.
The barbecue chicken recipe below uses traditional, bone-in fryer chicken pieces, but you can use boneless chicken breast pieces as well. The boneless meat will cook more quickly though, so if you grill boneless cuts, reduce your grilling time a little.
Serve finger lickin’ hickory smoked BBQ chicken from a traditional barbecue grill to celebrate comforting tastes of the past and to make comforting family memories for the future too!
You can also simply enjoy your time together as a family using a BBQ chicken recipe grilled on a gas BBQ grill or, even easier, a portable electric bbq grill!
Outdoor Barbecue Preparation:
Brush the grill grate lightly with olive oil.
Start charcoal in a mound in grill, and let the BBQ briquettes burn for 30 minutes or so, until they are covered with white ash.
With a long handled tong, spread the charcoal briquettes over the bottom of the grill, and replace the grill grate.
For the best grilled chicken, set your grill to cook at a LOW heat!
Note: The following barbecue chicken recipe can be made with traditional, bone-in chicken or as a boneless, skinless, BBQ chicken breast recipe.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 to 16 fryer chicken pieces (or 6 boneless, skinless pieces to barbecue, if desired)
- While grill is heating, stir together all ingredients except the chicken in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the sauce, and set aside.
- Add the meat, one or two at a time, to the BBQ sauce, turning to coat.
- Arrange the pieces on a tray, and take outdoors, placing the fryer pieces on the grill.
- Lower the grill hood to cover, and cook on low heat for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Baste with the reserved 1/2 cup sauce 20 minutes before completely cooked.
This grilled BBQ chicken recipe should easily feed six when served with some other yummy picnic food and will provide a delightful hometown charm on your picnic table.
Menu planning picnic ideas:
Put some pasta salad and a bowl of your favorite fruit salad recipe in your picnic basket for a contemporary flair, or make your favorite potato salad recipe, baked beans, and chocolate cake for a traditional picnic.
Either way, remember to pack some old fashioned lemonade or Lipton ice tea, to be served in a mason jar of course, bring a wicker picnic basket… and a picnic blanket too, and enjoy that simple reminder of days gone by with a grilled BBQ chicken recipe such as this one!
To see another BBQ grilled chicken recipe or to see some great chicken breast recipes, please see the related posts, listed below.