Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – Simple, Sweet, and Satisfying
Any mom who knows kids also knows that kids love cookies, but when you’re a mom, you also want your kids to eat foods that are healthy for them.
These oatmeal chocolate chip cookies give your kids an extra health boost by adding old fashioned Quaker oats which provide many health benefits in addition to vitamins for growing bodies and minds.
They are also good for daddies and husbands too, by the way!
So while you’re watching your kids enjoy the fruits of this old fashioned oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe, you can smile knowing you gave them the health benefits of oatmeal as well!
OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 2 cups butter (not margarine)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups brown sugar (or 1 and 1/3 cup pure maple syrup for Paleo cookies)
- 1 cup white confectioners’ sugar (or 1 cup coconut palm sugar + 1 and 1/2 TBSP honey for Paleo)
- 3 cups Gluten Free or regular All Purpose Flour (or 3 cups Almond Flour or Almond Meal, using slightly less than 3 cups if using Almond Meal)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups Gluten Free or regular old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, eggs, and vanilla until smoothly blended. Add the brown sugar and the confectioners’ sugar, and beat well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and then stir into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Finally, stir in the oats, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated over.
Note: After removing the pan from the oven, it’s always best to wait five minutes or so before removing the cookies from the baking sheet to a wire rack. This allows the baked dough time to set so you can move them safely and successfully.
Whether you’re serving up a yummy afternoon snack or arrange these lovely goodies on a charming country platter for your family dinner, these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a must for any family who likes oatmeal cookies or wants a little more than a simple chocolate chip cookies recipe.
* For a variation, check out our recipe for healthy and irresistible cranberry oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, or give the kids a tasty treat combination with peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.