Did you know that the iconic Hostess Twinkie was actually an old fashioned sponge cake mix which was baked into individual snacks and coupled with that glorious Twinkies vanilla cream filling?
From the time they were introduced back in the 1930s to today, the sweet taste for those Hostess Twinkies have survived even though their company may have moved on.
But do not fear! If you liked that special taste and the feel of vanilla cream filling in your mouth, this Twinkie cake recipe will make your day!
You don’t need Hostess Twinkies to make this this work. You just need a good, old fashioned, basic sponge cake recipe with a slight lemony taste (which we can make easily with a cake mix and some lemon extract), a homemade Twinkie filling recipe, and a little insight for how to put a Twinkie cake together.
If you want to go all the way, add some sugared strawberries for an easy strawberry shortcake too!
Easy Homemade Twinkie Cake Recipe From Scratch
Easy sponge cake recipe component:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 (3-ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- A little confectioners sugar to sprinkle on top when done.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan, and set aside until ready for use.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, canola or vegetable oil, eggs, and lemon extract.
- Beat with electric mixer on low for about 1 minute.
- Add the dry pudding mix and beat on high for an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Let the mixture set in the bowl for 2 – 3 more minutes before pouring the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- After allowing the cake mix to set for a couple minutes, pour into the prepared 9 x 13 inch pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pan comes out clean.
- When done, pull out of the oven, and set the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Remove cake from pan 10 to 15 minutes after initial rack cooling, and then allow to cool completely on the serving cake plate or board.
Now for the Twinkie filling recipe to go with your Twinkie cake!
Recipe for Twinkie Cake Filling Component:
- 1 cup milk
- 5 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature is best
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Heat milk and flour on stove top on low heat until milk is almost to a boil. Stir almost constantly while heating this mixture, and keep watch so as not to let milk get too hot or boil over.
- Set heated milk-flour mixture aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, shortening, and sugar, and beat with an electric mixer on high until light and fluffy. Add cooled milk-flour mixture, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt, and whip a little more.
To assemble the Twinkie cake:
- Cut completely cooled cake in half. This can be done with a sharp knife or even string or dental floss.
- Gently set top aside with cut section on bottom and uncut section on top.
- Spread total amount of cream filling on the bottom part of the cake.
- Reset the top of the cake back on top of the bottom, the two cuts sides together.
- Sprinkle a little confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) on top.
There you have it… A great cake recipe for kids, and a great Twinkie cake to enjoy on your family’s dinner table!
THEN: If you want to turn this into an easy strawberry shortcake, just pour a cup of sugar over a big bowl of strawberries, stir until well mixed, and keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to put on top of your homemade Hostess Twinkie cake. Combining the sugar with the strawberries and giving them time to set a while in the refrigerator will give you a nice bowl of strawberries with bunches of natural strawberry syrup to scoop on top of individual slices of your cake.
This combination of Twinkie sponge cake, Twinkies cream filling, and strawberries is an awesome treat you’ll never forget!
ADDITIONAL HINT: With or without the strawberries, this recipe for Twinkie cake makes a great birthday cake recipe too for those who enjoy that old fashioned Hostess Twinkies taste!
We have lots of other cake recipes at padoozles.com along with tons of other recipes, financial resources, healthy living info, and articles too! Check us out and see what you can find for YOUR family!