Do you remember getting Christmas food gifts when you were little? Have you, as an adult more recently, found yourself drooling over a holiday food gift basket you saw advertised online? If you ever received a Life Saver Candy Book as a child or a wine and cheese gift basket as an adult, you know that both children and adults enjoy food gifts at Christmas… and any other time of the year too in fact!
A good food gift is worth its weight in gold… (or cinnamon, summer sausage, java beans, chocolate, or sugar… whichever applies).
Whether you’re looking for a Christmas gift for Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, son, daughter, boyfriend, girlfriend, preschoolers at your church, or even a college student away from home, boss, co-oworker, or friend, you can find great food gifts for Christmas that are just perfect.
Here are some holiday food gift ideas to get you started.
Christmas Food Baskets You Can Order Online
You will find all sorts of boxes, packages, tins, and Christmas food gift baskets online with things such as:
- Caramel popcorn, chocolate truffles, and roasted peanuts
- Christmas fruit baskets with all kinds of fruit and nuts
- Sausage and cheese platters
- Christmas fruit cakes and stollen
- Wine gift baskets
- Even last minute gourmet gift baskets for Christmas
For an example of a great food gift from Swiss Colony plus some additional food gift ideas from Amazon, check out the High Five Ham Gift Assortment from The Swiss Colony (Amazon Affiliate Link)
Specialty Food Gift Baskets
This would include gift ideas like:
- Artisan cheese plates
- Organic food gift baskets
- International food gifts (How about some British tea and cookies or French wine and cheese?}
- Hot sauces, hot pepper jelly, pretzels, and crackers
- Healthy snack gift baskets
- Regional Cooking Gift Baskets (as in New York Deli or a Cajun Cooking Cookbook with Cajun seasoning)
I love the international gift baskets carried by GiftGourmetBaskets.com! They have other food gift baskets too. I just really like those international specialty food gifts there!
Cookie and Candy Gift Boxes
This would include gift baskets, plates, boxes, bags, and platters which include any of the following (as best suits the future recipient):
- Old fashioned candy
- Sugar free candy
- Homemade candy
- Bulk candy orders
- Dark chocolate or chocolate lover gift boxes
- Gourmet cookie baskets delivered to the doorstep
Many online stores offer free shipping on bulk candy orders, so if you are buying a larger amount or for a large group, this option can help you save money on Christmas presents!
Broadway Basketeers Towering Heights Holiday Gift Tower – A Christmas Gift Idea
(Amazon Affiliate Link)
Homemade Food Gifts
- Homemade candy and fudge
- Homemade cookies
- Homemade breakfast bread, nut breads,fruit breads, coffee cakes, cake rolls, and muffins
- Homemade pie
I still remember a Christmas almost 30 years ago when I made a gift for my mother-in-law Jo. (Love you, Jo!) I baked several different kinds of homemade bread (wrapped in loaves) and muffins (wrapped individually) – all ready for Jo to put in her freezer.
Here’s what I did:
I purchased two bamboo trays from Pier One; stacked them; placed the wrapped bread loaves and muffins on the top tray, and filled some more open spots with homemade hot chocolate mix and homemade hot Russian tea mix in baggies. When filled with food and hot drink mix bags, I laid a couple of Christmas silk flowers on top of all the items to add a little color, covered it all with Saran Wrap, and completed it all with a bow on top.
They were gorgeous (I thought), hopefully yummy, and so much fun to make!
Do you remember that Christmas present, Jo? 🙂
I have always fondly remembered making and giving that gift, and I think my mother-in-law got many good morning breakfasts from it!
By the way, you don’t need to make tons of homemade food to give as a gift. Even one pretty bread loaf wrapped in Saran Wrap and wrapped with country twine or Christmas ribbon can be a very nice gift for a friend, co-worker, or a child’s teacher.
Baked goods are great gifts to make with kids too!
Cookbooks, Vintage Cookbooks, and Old Fashioned Cooking and Baking Supplies
Cooking gifts related to food gifts might include:
- An Amish recipe cookbook packed in a stoneware loaf pan or set inside an iron skillet
- A kid’s coloring cookbook with crayons and a child-size chef’s hat
- A cooking magazine wrapped in a pretty dish towel that compliments the cooking style of the magazine
- Magazine gift subscriptions for a cook or baker
- A vintage cookbook with a dish you have cooked from a recipe from the book
- Old fashioned sugar cookies on vintage white dinner plates or a traditional rice pudding recipe prepared in an antique dish you found at an antique mall or thrift shop
I have found so many beautiful kitchen items and dinnerware at thrift stores! When you purchase something like that from a thrift shop, you are giving a timeless gift someone will cherish and appreciate while also saving money and helping others!
Food Crafts for Christmas Gifts
Food gifts to make include:
- Easy food crafts to make with kids (Parents always understand the value of crafts for gifts, and cooking with kids is a fun craft to make as a gift!)
- Cute food crafts kids love to eat to give TO the kids
- Edible food arrangements – great for grandma and grandpa or any fruit lover you know!
- Gifts in a mason jar – Feel free to use red and green candies as much as possible, but any gift in a jar will work!
You can find tons of food craft ideas on Pinterest, blogs, and magazines!
I’m sure there are many other Christmas food gifts you can find online, purchase in a store, or make yourself. Hopefully though, we have helped you put your thinking cap on so that you will find just the right food gift for Christmas that will make the ones you care about very happy this year!
What kinds of food have you given as Christmas gifts in the past, and would you recommend that same food gift to someone else? Share your experience with others in the comments section below, and help us all out!