The Ultimate Banana Cake Recipe with Caramel Buttercream Icing
It’s light and fluffy, a very moist banana cake, and with this easy caramel buttercream icing that surprisingly uses ice cream caramel sauce, it’s an easy banana cake recipe to make for your family.
If you enjoy easy homemade cake recipes that taste like you’ve spent the day baking when you haven’t, and if like banana recipes that give you a light tropical flavor without bogging you down with too much fruit, get going on the best banana cake recipe possible for your family dinner tonight!
Here’s the recipe.
Banana Cake Recipe with Caramel Buttercream Icing
Banana Cake Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (12 Tablespoons)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups mashed bananas (approximately 4 large bananas)
Caramel Buttercream Icing Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound confectioner’s sugar
- Milk as needed
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk and set to the side.
- In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs and the mashed bananas, and mix with blender on medium speed just enough to combine the eggs and bananas with the creamy mixture.
- When thoroughly mixed, add dry ingredients to the bolw, a little at a time, beating with mixer on low as you add.
- Once everything is well mixed, turn the mixer back up to high and beat one to two more minutes on high.
- Pour the cake mix into two 9 inch baking pans which have been prepared with grease and flour or sprayed with a baking spray, and let set on the counter for five minutes before placing in the oven. This allows the baking powder extra time to activate before baking, adding a little extra fluffiness.
- Then bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let set on counter until cool before removing from pan.
- Cream shortening and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add caramel syrup and vanilla, and beat a little more until blended.
- Slowly add confectioner’s sugar, beating on low as you add.
- When combined, add milk, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until your icing reaches the consistency you feel comfortable with.
When cake is cooled and on serving plate ready to frost, you’ll be better able to ice your cake with a stainless steel icing knife. However, a butter spreader or a regular knife could do in a pinch for this kind of recipe.
Variations: For an easy banana cake recipe that’s even easier than this one, use a prepacked buttercream or cream cheese frosting and sprinkle coconut on it for a coconut banana cake, or if you want an easy chocolate and banana cake recipe, put some chocolate icing on the cake recipe above for a banana and chocolate delight!
Whatever you like with your bananas, this banana cake recipe will have your family going ape over it!
Go here to purchase Ghirardelli Caramel Sauce 16oz Squeeze bottle for your this banana cake recipe or for any recipe for chocolate cake with caramel icing, or get this Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt Caramel Sauce for salted caramel icing!